Peter Jarvis of Ascutney held on for a top-ten finish in the 24th Annual Richie Evans Memorial 100 at New Smyrna (Fla.) Speedway on Friday night. Jarvis, a True Value Modified Racing Series regular, drove the Wally and Dennis Albro-owned #9NH to his third top-ten in seven starts in the Tour-type Modified division at the World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing, but slipped to 11th in points after chief rivals John Jensen and Kevin Goodale had better finishes. Jensen, of Wolcott, Conn. finished seventh after leading some laps after the halfway point, while Riverhead, N.Y.'s Goodale clawed to a fifth-place finish.
Championship positions 8-11 are seperated by just ten points, with Goodale leading the group at 568. Tyngsboro, Mass. driver Louie Mechalides sits ninth at 566 after failing to finish the Richie Evans 100, with Jensen (562) and Jarvis (558) close behind. The World Series draws to a close on Saturday night with a 25-lap finale for the Tour Modifieds.
Ted Christopher of Plainville, Conn. copped the Richie Evans Memorial 100 victory for his fourth career triumph in the race. He also won in 1994, 1997, and 2000. Ronnie Silk, Bobby Grigas, III, Matt Hirschman finished second through fourth. Goodale was next in fifth place at the finish, followed by Chuck Hossfeld, Jensen, Eric Goodale, Andy Seuss, and Jarvis.
43rd Annual World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing
New Smyrna Speedway - New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Tour-type Modified, after Night 8 of 9, Fri., Feb. 13, 2009
1. Ted Christopher, Plainville, CT - 719
2. Bobby Grigas, III, Marshfield, MA - 633
3. Eric Goodale, Riverhead, NY - 632
4. Chuck Hossfeld, Ransomville, NY - 627
5. Jimmy Blewett, Howell, NJ - 617
6. Jon McKennedy, Chelmsford, MA - 590
7. Matt Hirschman, Northampton, PA - 584
8. Kevin Goodale, Riverhead, NY - 568
9. Louie Mechalides, Tyngsboro, MA - 566
10. John Jensen, Wolcott, CT - 562
11. PETER JARVIS, ASCUTNEY, VT - 558